If you ever have a baby, you know how important it is to always keep an eye on them. You can never leave your baby alone. But, practically it becomes quite difficult to always physically present beside the baby 24*7. That’s why these baby monitors come into the picture. Even though you are not always beside them, still, you can monitor what your baby is doing, is he sleeping correctly, or is he crying and need something?
The trend of baby monitors has gone up since the last couple of years because people finally understand the importance of it. People also have been asking a lot of questions when it comes to baby monitors that includes best baby monitors, baby monitor videos, app, monitor with camera, a baby monitor with 2 cameras and much more. So, if you are among those curious parents, then this article is for you.
Today, we would be covering everything, you need to know about these electronic devices. When it comes to brands, we primarily would be focusing on Motorola baby monitors as they are one of the major players in the industry. Motorola makes dozens of baby monitor variants, so it becomes quite challenging to choose the best one. So, we would be helping you out in finding top 10 Motorola baby monitors that you can go for.
Baby monitors are recommended by a lot of doctors for the first six months of the baby as it is one of the most critical parts of their life. Though, the need for baby monitors could also vary depending on the home you live. If you live in a small flat and baby is always in the same room then you probably might not need a baby monitor because you can hear the baby cry everytime he or she needs something. But, if you are living in a big house and baby is always far from your sight, probably in that case you just need a baby monitor.
There are different kinds of audio monitors that help you find what trouble the baby is in. Whether the baby is hungry or is he distressed or he is simply sleeping and snoring in sleep (in that case, you can wake up the baby).
Though there is a downside as well when you put the baby in the same room because sometimes, baby just makes noises in the sleep though they don’t need anything it disturbs your sleep as well and you wake up feeling exhausted.
If you are a mother, it might become quite difficult not to go to the baby, every time he cries. But, you will gradually become used to of it. Recently, a survey has been done that concluded fathers get used to of video monitors easily than mothers, and the reason is very obvious because the love between mother and her child is incomparable.
Video Monitors not only help your baby but help you as well. Because babies are babies, they will cry and fuss for no reason sometimes, so it’s not necessary to go and check everytime you hear a noise. When it comes to the baby monitors, they are a variety of options to choose from. There are audio monitors, video monitors and there are some monitors as well that come with sensor pads. So, now you have access to audio, visual and their movements as well.
Though, some parents don’t prefer the concept of baby monitors because they keep their baby always by their side. So, it’s completely up to you whether you want to go for it or not. Below are some of the points that clarifies why should you need a baby monitor or why you shouldn’t?
Why should you need a Baby Monitor?
- If you are only two members in the family and both are working then sometimes, nobody would be there to keep an eye on the baby. In that case, with the help of a baby monitor, you can simply log on to the app and keep an eye on.
- If you want to go out for a walk or want to take your dog for outdoor adventure or want to make a coffee. Any quick thing, so in that case also you need a baby monitor because you can’t carry your baby always with you.
- If you have more than one kid and you want to monitor their activities as well. Then also, you can get a lot of help with the baby monitor.
- Baby can wake up sometimes if they hear your sound of walking around. It’s not good for their sleep. So, you can monitor everything without waking the baby up.
- You can also monitor the breathing as well with the help of it.
Why shouldn’t you need a baby monitor?
- If you have a small house and baby is always beside you in that case you might not go for the baby monitor as baby will always be close to you, and you know when it’s crying or not.
- If your baby is always sleeping in the bedside bassinet then also you don’t need a baby monitor. Because monitoring the baby in the night is very important.
- If you are in a joint family and there is always someone to take care of the baby or if you have a nanny, in that case also you might not need a baby monitor.
Things to keep in mind before buying a baby monitor
Though baby monitors seem like a simple device, there is a lot they can do. Some of the baby monitors have some simple features while others come with some high-end features as well. So, it’s up to you whether you want to go for the basic one or want to go with some advanced one with add on features. So, there are a couple of things that you have to keep in mind when it comes to buying a baby monitor.
Sound activation: The sound activation feature is very important when it comes to baby monitors. You won’t have to be awake all night. You will only get the notification whenever the baby cries.
Light-up Notification: Light up sound indication is very important. Sometimes, when your smartphone is muted but you don’t want to miss any important movement in that situation this feature keeps you updated with all of your baby movements.
Battery Backup: Make sure, the camera comes with longer battery backup. You don’t want to recharge it again and again. It might disturb the baby during his sleep. There are two types of model options that you would get; one with the plugin and other with a rechargeable battery. So, choose the one that is comfortable with you. The ultimate goal is to go with one that doesn’t disturb you as well as your baby as well.
Multiple Receivers: Make sure the device you are buying comes with portable handset receivers that will allow you to keep track of all the baby’s activities no matter wherever you are. Some devices come with multiple receivers which is better. It allows more than one person to always keep an eye on. This ensures better safety in case; one person is not there, others can take care of the baby.
Night vision: This is also one of the most important features that you have to keep in mind. It allows you to do the monitoring in the night time as well. Because night time is very important because mostly you are asleep and it becomes quite difficult to go again and again physically to check whether the baby is breathing properly or not, if you go with the basic monitor then you probably might not find that feature, so we would recommend you to go with advanced monitors that have night vision audio and video technology. Though most of these night vision assisted monitors to come with fix vision, but there are a few in the market in which you can adjust the brightness to get the better clarity.
DECT technology: This is bit technical, but a monitor with DECT technology ensures that you get the proper transmission. The video monitors that come with DECT use the low-frequency bandwidth for voice communication. Most of the other devices in the market like Bluetooth devices, wireless devices, video game controls go with 2.4 GHz frequency that could be glitchy sometimes.
DECT technology allows the best sound clarity so that you get to know the difference when the baby is crying or when he is just making a sound in the sleep. This technology allows you to choose between several frequency channels and you can pick the one with the best clarity.
Sound and video interference filters: This is the last yet very important feature. If you go with some cheap quality video monitor, it will pick sound from the surrounding and that sometimes become very hectic as you start getting the notifications and alert of air condition and other surrounding noise in the room. So, the devices which have sound filter won’t’ be amplifying distracting and annoying surrounding noise.
How to use the baby monitor safely?
When it comes to using the baby monitors, there are certain things that you have to keep in mind. Because at the end, you are using these electronic devices and you can’t put baby’s safety on the risk in any case.
Never Use Movement Monitors: There are a lot of monitors in the market that tracks the breathing of the baby. This might sound very good at first tracking your baby’s breathing pattern, but it could be risky in rare cases. National Institute of Health and Pediatrics American Academy do not recommend these movement tracking monitors in any case.
Keep the Power Cords Away: When you are using these monitors, make sure all the cords are away from the reach of the baby. If you have mounted the camera on the wall, make sure the cords are not laggy, and they are out of reach of the kid. Because babies have this tendency of touching everything and you don’t want any possibility of strangulation of anything else.
The crib is not for Baby Monitor: A lot of people make this mistake of installing the baby monitor on the crib itself. It might seem tempting to put the monitor close to the baby so that you can always have a better look. But putting it on the crib is foolish. Because if you are using the battery with the camera, it might leak or something. So, the best way is to keep on some higher place nearby the baby or just fix it on the wall.
Don’t depend too much on the Monitor: A baby monitor can never replace the adult supervision. So, don’t depend too much on it, no matter how many features these devices come with but nothing can replace the eyes and ears of the parents and caregiver.
Types of baby monitors
In this section, we will talk about the different types of baby monitors that are available in the market. A lot of varieties are there, and a good number of companies are into it. So, you can choose the one with a basic feature, or you can spend some extra bucks and go with some high-end device. Below are the main four types of baby monitors that you can choose from.
Audio Monitors: This is the very basic version of a video monitor. It allows you to listen to the sound of your baby when he sleeps. You get a notification, every time you hear your baby crying. If you go with some cheap audio monitor, it might pick the surrounding noise like air condition noise or other, and that could be irritating. So, buy a decent audio monitor that has the noise filter so that you only get a notification when the baby makes a sound. Make sure, it also has light up addon, in case your smartphone is on mute, you still get the alert.
Digital Monitors: If you go with the basic audio monitor, the sound of the baby might get picked up another receiver in the neighbour’s house. So, a better option is to go with the digital monitor because in this case, the transmission is encrypted and you won’t see the problem of frequency clash. Though, these would be a little bit costlier than the audio monitors but worth their investment. And you also get the better sound quality as well.
Video & Audio Monitors: This is one of the most popular categories in baby monitors that people go for. In this case, you can watch the baby and hear his voice at the same time. In this case, you get the camera that you can mount on the wall or place on the nearby flat surface. You also get a lot of advanced features as well that allows you to tilt or zoom in the camera.
Some audio & video monitors come with night vision feature that is very crucial in the night time. With some, you get the receivers, or you can also use the smartphone as well. There is also the option of using multiple cameras as well.
Movement Monitors: In this case, a motion-sensitive pad is placed under the baby’s mattress which gives you movement monitoring of the baby. You get the notification if the baby doesn’t move in 20 seconds. It is a very sensitive pad; it even tracks the breathing and small baby movements. A lot of people prefer the movement monitors though they are not recommended by the National Health Institute and American Academy of Pediatrics.
Recently, we have seen some unique kind of monitors as well in 2019. Some of them are wearable as well. So, we would highly recommend thinking twice before you go for any baby monitor.
Baby monitor prices
When it comes to baby monitors, the price might range between $50 to $500. So, choose the one that suits your requirement but also keep in mind, as the price goes up you get better safety and advanced features as well.
$50-$150 Range: This is the reasonable range of baby monitors. Here, you will find the entry-level monitors with the basic feature. Most of the baby monitors in this range come with a single camera. You might not get the good quality transmission with these monitors, and have the frequency clash as well if there are multiple monitors in nearby range. The range would also be less with these cameras. So, when you are going for these monitors, don’t expect a very high-quality output from it. Motorola Company is known for making a variety of monitors in this range.
$150-$300 Range: You can get a decent quality video monitor in this range. In this mid-range category, you will have all the sufficient features that you need. You will get crystal clear video, wifi support, zoom in and tilt feature, and temperature monitoring as well. Most of the people prefer to buy baby monitors in this range. In case, you have any specific requirement; you can go with the next range as well.
$300-$500 Range: This is a very high-end range, and you get high definition clear transmission with these baby monitors. Motorola makes some luxury monitors in this category which gives you features like intercom support, remote access and picture in picture feature as well. Most of these monitors not only track your baby but also keep track of whole room movements and that makes them multi-purpose, and you get to know, what’s happening in the room as well.
Top 10 Motorola Baby Monitors 2019
Motorola is one of the famous brands when it comes to baby monitors. In this section, we would be covering the top 10 Motorola baby monitors in 2019 that you can go for. In case, we miss any good baby monitor; you can let us know in the comments below, we will try to include that as well.
1- Motorola MBP28 (Affordable Monitor & All decent features)
This Motorola baby monitor has kind of mixed reviews on the internet. But, we keep at number one because of its affordable price. It has two-way communication which allows you to listen the audio and get the good quality video with its infrared vision camera. Its microphone is highly sensitive and picks ups the very small noise that baby makes in the sleep as well. You won’t see any interference problem when in case if there is someone else in the neighbour using the same baby monitor. It is very easy to install and setup, you can read the instructions and can do everything by yourself. Below are some of the features that you should know about Motorola MBP28.
- It also displays the room temperature that certainly gives it an edge over other baby monitors. So, in case there is any environmental change in the room, you can regulate the temperature without waking up the baby.
- It has Color LCD Screen which gives you clear transmission. Its 1.8?colour LCD Screen on the receiver gives you better picture quality.
- It also has infrared night vision as well that allows you to track the baby’s movement in low light condition as well.
- You can install the monitor on the table, wall or on the desktop that provides you full freedom.
- It has range up to 500 feet that are good enough even though you have a large home. It works on 28Mbps bit rate.
2- Motorola FOCUS360 (Multiple Connections, Tilt&Pan)
Motorola FOCUS360 comes in the second number in our top 10 list because of its amazing features. What I love about this baby monitor that it comes with indoor and outdoor camera units that make the device more versatile. It has a built-in microphone and speaker as well. It has night vision feature as well that allows you to monitor your baby in the low light conditions as well. It also has temperature sensors that keep you updated with the temperature of the room so that if temperature drops and your baby is feeling uneasy, you know what to do. Below are some of the robust features of this baby monitor that you should know.
- When it comes to its connection, it works seamlessly with Wi-Fi. But it can also be connected to network switch or home’s router as well.
- It has five levels of wireless indicators that make it more advanced. In the low light condition, the colour screen changes to black and white for better clarity.
- You can also use the talk mode that allows you to communicate between the video monitor and an indoor camera unit.
- You can pan and tilt the camera with two-speed options whatever suits you the best. You can choose between normal and 2X speed.
- There are different alarm settings available as well that provides you set notifications accordingly.
3- Motorola MBP43-2 (Twins & 5 lullabies)
If you need more than one camera, then this is the Motorola baby monitor that you should go for. Its multiple camera viewing options on split screen it stand out othe crowd, and you get better control on the things. If you have two babies in the house, on two different cribs, then it is going to be your best companion. It comes with 2.4 GHz FHSS technology that gives you the seamless transmission eliminating any possibility of a signal drop or something. It works up to 590 feet that are decent enough range even for a big house. Below are some of the important features that you should know about Motorola MBP43-2.
- You can control the camera on your fingertips. You can tilt it, pan it, zoom it and do whatever you want. It not only helps to take care of the baby but instead, it also helps in tracking the room activity.
- Its 3.5 inches wide LCD shows you the real-time video and audio. The video that you get is at 25 frames per second.
- This is a really interesting feature. You get five different lullabies options to choose which help your child to have a better sleep.
- It has a room temperature sensor and infrared night vision camera as well which are essential to ensure that you and your child both have a good sleep.
4- Motorola MBP621 (Portable and Easy to Use)
When it comes to portability and ease of use, you might find a better baby monitor than this one. It comes with small 1.8?full-colour LCD Screen. There are also some advanced features as well that includes zoom in, infrared for night vision, and others. The camera has good build quality, it operates in 2.4GHz ISM band. When you make the purchase, you get both parent and baby unit. Its parent unit is very easy to use, it can be attached to your belt as well. You can just pull the back clip and put it wherever you find it comfortable. Below are some of the important features of the Motorola MBP621 that you should know.
- You can pan, tilt and zoom the camera that gives you better control over monitoring.
- It has an infrared camera as well which is must for night monitoring. Its transmission is good, and you get the decent quality picture quality as well.
- Its range is around 300 metres that are decent enough. Even though you have a big house, it still going to work for you.
- You get low battery alerts. You can talk to your baby as well with the simple press of the button
5- Motorola MBP483 (Talk to your Partner)
This is again a good quality baby monitor that you can go for. With its two way communication, you can speak to your partner in a different room that makes the whole process smooth and easy. With its temperature display, you can also keep track of the room’s temperature that allows to you know whether the temperature is suitable for the baby or not. It works up to the 1000feet range which is good. Its microphone is highly sensitive that gives you even the lowest of noise made by the child. Below are the main aspects of Motorola MBP483 that you should know before making a purchase.
- It works with 2.4 GHz FHSS wireless transmission that gives you seamless glitch-free video transmission.
- It has a 2.8inch digital colour screen which is not very big but still better than some of the other small baby monitors.
- Digital Zoom enables you to have a better look at your baby. You also get the room temperature display as well that helps you in understanding the baby’s room temperature.
- You also give lullabies options to help a baby to have a better sleep. Its infrared night vision camera and high sensitive microphone again gives it an edge over other baby monitors.
- It is expandable up to four cameras, in case you need them. You also get LED Sound indicator as well, out of range & low battery alerts as well.
6- Motorola MBP26 (Supports 4 devices, Out of Range Alert)
This is also one of the popular Motorola baby monitors that you can go fro. It works with 2.4GHz FHSS wireless technology that reduces the possibility of a drop in the signal. Most of the cheap baby monitors have this problem of connection drop or video transmission lags sometimes. But, this one you won’t be having any problem as such. It has a 2.4 inch LCD colour display with which you can track your baby. It also has the night vision camera which makes the monitoring easy in the night and you don’t have to wake up again and again during sleep. It comes with data encryption technology which allows the better security and no other receiver can pick the signals.
- You can tilt and pan the camera at your disposal and have a better look at the baby’s situation.
- It can work up to four cameras that give enough room to do the customisation. Sometimes, when you have a lot of other things to monitor not just your baby, this could be the right option for you.
- You have to buy the cameras separately.
- You also get out of the range alert. Its two-way communication makes things easier as you can talk to your baby as well. You can sing to your baby, and he will feel your presence even though, you are not there.
- It has a range of up to 200 metres that are good enough even though you live in a larger home.
7- Motorola MBP27T (Touchless Thermometer)
This Motorola baby monitor has some features that others don’t have. It comes with a touchless thermometer that makes it one of the unique baby monitor. It works on 2.4 GHz wireless transmission system that delivers the lag-free video on the other end. It also has 2.4-inch colour LCD Screen where you can monitor your baby. The Motorola MBP27T also comes with infrared night vision camera that works well in low light conditions. With other monitors, people often complain about the clarity, but here you can see the baby’s face. You also get Tilt and Pan Control which allows you to monitor not only your baby instead of the whole room as well. It has an inbuilt temperature sensor that gives you precise temperature readings. Below are some of the main features of Motorola MBP27T that you have to take a look at.
- It has two-way communication. You can talk to your baby as well so that he always feels your presence.
- It has a high sensitive microphone that gives you alert about any kind of uneasy noise your baby makes.
- The range is up to 520 feet. There are also other advanced features that include volume control, LED indicator and low battery alert as well.
- Its pan and tilt feature is very smooth, and you feel the jerk while using it. You can precisely point it to the whatever location you want.
8- Motorola MBP421 (Zero External Interference)
This model got recently launched by Motorola. It has mixed reviews online but worth having a look at. It comes with 2.4 GHz FHSS technology that allows the better transmission. You won’t see the drop in the signal with this device. The company claims that it has a secure digital communication and its transmission doesn’t get affected by the other wireless devices present in the home. If you ever used a baby monitor, you know this problem is very common, but with this device, you won’t face any problem at all. Its microphone is also very sensitive and records every single sound your baby makes. Below are the main features of Motorola MBP421.
- It has a 1.8-inch colour LCD with infrared night vision capability to give you the real-time data about your baby.
- You also get other important notifications as well that includes “Out of Range” and “Low Battery” alerts.
- The range of the device is around 900 feet that are decent enough even though you are living in a large house.
- It has four infrared LEDs which makes sure that you get good quality video during night time.
- You need batteries for parent unit while the baby unit doesn’t use any battery. You can install it on the wall also.
9- Motorola MBP35S (300 Degree of Field of View)
This costs around $100 and have a mixed review online. Though it has a lot of features, but a lot of people don’t like its design. It comes with a 2.8?colour screen. It has a picture in picture feature and auto switch feature as well. You can connect it up to four cameras and take your monitoring experience to the next level. It can connect up to four cameras which gives you more freedom. It works with 2.4 GHz FHSS technology which works seamlessly up to 1000ft, and you also don’t face the problem of signal drop. Below are some of the main features of Motorola MBP35S that you have to take a look at.
- It has a PAN and TILT feature that gives you better control, and you can also zoom in and have a closer look at your baby.
- It has 300 degree of field of view that never lets your baby go out of your sight.
- It also has two-way communication that allows you to talk to your kid as well. You can sing and speak to your baby that make them feel your presence even though; you are not there.
- You also get 5 built-in lullabies that you can play for your baby and ensure that they have good tight sleep.
10- Motorola MBP25-2 (Twin Camera, No Pan & Tilt)
This is the last product in our top 10 list but still worth to have a look at. If you need to monitor multiple rooms even though you have only one baby, this could be a choice for you. You can install these devices on the wall and take care of your kids without any problem. This one also comes with two-way communication with which you can talk to your kid. It has 2.4? of LCD Display where you get the real-time transmission. It also has a Zoom feature, infrared night vision and others. Once you make the purchase, you would be getting One Monitor, two cameras, one batter back, three adapters (one for parent unit and two for the baby unit) and user guide as well. It is very easy to use; you can simply read the instruction and get it ready in minutes.
- It comes under $100 range. Keeping all its features into consideration, it is also worth buying.
- You don’t get Pan and tilt with the camera, that could be a downside of it. You also don’t have recording option with it.
- In Motorola, the devices only support the same model unit. So, it won’t be working with another camera in case if you have any.